30 August 2009

Day 106

09 August 2009  (Day 106- 5 days to go)

Wake up was at 0600, so I took care of personal hygiene, then took about a 30 minute nap.  I was woken up by our platoon guide yelling to get downstairs for first formation.  The drill sergeant on duty talked to us about what was going on today (church, clean bays, football games?, phone calls?, movies).  As long as we got our bays clean, we got the perks that were to come later.  At 0730, we headed to breakfast, and then by 0800, we were headed to breakfast, and then by 0800 we were heading to church.  Today was my last Sunday service on Sand Hill!  I couldn't help but think that in a week, I would be worshiping in my home church with my own family!  I am really looking forward to that.  Music started playing, so I got in the mindset to worship, and after a few songs, they sang "Friends Forever" for our company, since we will be graduating, and then got into the sermon.  Today's scripture came from Philipians 3:12-14, where Paul is in a jail cell writing a letter, and mentions that he has not arrived yet as a Christian and will keep pressing onward.  He will continue to pursue Jesus, and we too should seek His vision for our lives.  Also, forget about what's behind you, and press on to what is in the future.  We came back to the bay, changed into summer PTs, and then just relaxed until lunch at 1300.  After lunch, I slept for probably three hours or so, and everyone else either sat around, listened to music, or started getting things ready for tomorrow's inspection.  Around 1700, people who needed to make calls to verify traveling arrangements could make calls, so I called home and talked to Devon for a couple of minutes, and then called my mom's cell because both she and my dad were at a youth group dinner with Deanne.  I talked to my parents then for about eight minutes, then had to get off to let others on and head to dinner.  After dinner, it was similar to this afternoon, a lot of nothing.  I took care of the little laundry I had so my laundry bag would be empty for tomorrow's inspection, then got organized to lay out my gear in the morning.  When I went to switch my clothes to the dryer, only a couple of people were left on the phone, so I got on and called Brittney for a few minutes!  I came back upstairs and had a brilliant idea!  Because we would be getting rid of our weapons shortly and we didn't have a drill sergeant around, we decided to have a "photo shoot" since someone had a disposable camera.  I made sure to get a picture with the M240B, since that's what I had to lug around during the FTX.  Others started putting ACUs on, and before we knew it, a dozen guys were all taking pictures!  Afterwards, I just relaxed and waited until final formation at 2030.  I grabbed my laundry after that, folded it, and put it away.  Because final formation ran a little late, I didn't get to sleep until about 2200, but oh well, I didn't have fireguard and I had some good naps throughout the day!  However, at 2345, the lights came on with Captain America furious.  Someone apparently took out his SIM card from his cell phone and left it on his towel in the bathroom.  No one confessed to it, and after about fifteen minutes of listening to him ranting, he turned the lights out and we went back to bed.  He could go and complain to the drill sergeant, but he wasn't supposed to have it, so he would get in trouble for having it in the first place.  I feel bad that his phone was stolen, but if he hadn't snuck into the drill sergeant's office and took it in the first place, then he wouldn't be in this situation.  Again, it pays to follow the rules!

No comments:

Post a Comment