15 August 2009

Days 104-105

07 August 2009  (Day 104- 7 days to go)

This morning, I was woken up at 0245, so I got dressed in ACUs because I was going to go back to sick call because my wrist started swelling and the area turned red.  First off, fourth squad had 0300-0500 weapon cleaning shift tonight, so since I was in ACUs, I had fire guard for the first hour.  At 0400, Salado replaced me so I could get ready for sick call, and at 0430 I went downstairs and checked out with the on duty drill sergeant.  When I got to sick call, the computer network was down, so they couldn't check anyone in.  When a couple of the other staff members arrived, they began taking temperatures and heart rates from everyone.  I was quickly seen, received paperwork to head to TMC7 (Troop Medical Center #7), and then went to get checked out.  I arrived and only waited for a couple of minutes before being seen by a medic.  I was prescribed a few pills to take, as well as...dun dun dun...two shots in the rear!  I hate shots!!!  I had to wait in the waiting area for 20 minutes to make sure my body accepted the medication, and once my time was up, I went back to get reevaluated and receive my sick call slip.  I headed back to the barracks, signed in to the company, and went to breakfast.  After breakfast, everyone was upstairs cleaning their weapons, so I got mine out, but the drill sergeant called me into his office, and mentioned something about whining the other night and getting the phone pass, so I had to bring in the pictures that won the contest for me, and when it got to the picture of the "I heart Derek" shirt, I received a hard time, but I could tell they liked it and thought it was funny (I love it!).  After that, they made everyone open up their wall lockers and show them pictures!  I eventually snuck away and took about a 45 minute nap, then came back out to make an appearance.  I acted like I was cleaning my weapon for about an hour, then went into hiding for another nap until it was time for lunch.  B company was in line, waiting for their warrior dinner, so it took us nearly 45 minutes to wait and finally get our food, but when we did, I got a deli sandwich and a salad because with all the inactivity, if we keep eating the amount of food we are without intense training, I will put the weight right back on.  I've got to eat less or control my portions this next week, and once I get home and start in my intense workouts, I will be able to eat more!  After lunch, we came back to the bay and continued to clean our weapons.  The afternoon was very uneventful, consisting of a couple of naps and more weapon cleaning.  Around 1500, our drill sergeant told us to get toe to line, and handed us our blue disks that will go under our U.S. and cross rifle pins on our Class A uniform, and our three ribbons that we have earned. One ribbon (rainbow) is for the Army service medal, which is awarded to everyone that joins the Army.  The second is the global war on terrorism (blue ribbon with yellow, red, and white horizontal stripes), and the third is the national defense service medal (red ribbon with a yellow center and blue and white horizontal stripes), which is awarded for joining during a time of war or conflict.  These ribbons are a lot like the knots that are worn on a boy scout uniform, but obviously Army related.  Our drill sergeants then left for the day, and so we finished cleaning our weapons and just relaxed, gearing up for tonight's cleaning sessions.  At 1730, it was time for dinner, so we went and ate, and afterwards we had a mail call!  I got two letters from my dad (and the schedule for the Indianapolis Indians), a letter and a card from my mom, and two letters from Brittney, one with the heading of "LAST LETTER," so the end is near!  I read all my mail back up in the bay, and a little after I finished reading my letters, the Class As were back from dry cleaning, so although I didn't send mine because I had it done for funeral detail, others came for my help to put things on, because my uniform was squared away, other than having the ribbons on.  After I finished helping, I worked out for about 40 minutes, concentrating on abs, but made sure I worked my arms out as well.  Final formation was canceled, so we just took a head count up in our bay.  I took a shower, and then went to bed at 2100!  I have a 0100-0200 shift to clean weapons, but my naps today should help with me being tired.  One week from now, I'll be in Indiana... I CAN'T WAIT!!!


08 August 2009  (Day 105- 6 days to go)

Our squad had weapon cleaning from 0100-0300, and we broke it up so that "A team" cleaned from 0100-0200, and "B team" cleaned from 0200-0300.  I was on the first shift, so I cleaned my M4 from 0100-0200, then went back to sleep when my turn was over.  Wake up was then at 0500, and I got up and brushed my teeth and shaved, then read the morning newspaper.  Everyone was moving slow and crashed back out after they were woken up, so I stayed awake to call "at ease" if a drill sergeant was to come in.  At 0600, we went downstairs and formed up for first call, then headed outside for PT.  Today was free PT day, so we worked out on our own.  Robbins, one of his friends from another platoon, and I jogged the track for 3 miles, then took a one mile cool down (16 laps total).  It felt good just to run, because I can't do that up in the bay!  So after PT, we came back to the bay, and then headed to breakfast at 0730.  After breakfast, everyone came upstairs and crashed.  I got in about a 90 minute nap, and only woke up because my sixth sense told me something was up, and the bay was extremely quiet.  I came out of hiding, and our drill sergeant was here pouring water on people who were asleep.  I was lucky and escaped the unwanted shower!  Once everyone was awake, he checked helmets and made sure that they were all good to go!  I helped Robbins with his helmet, and then just stayed looking busy.  I did a small arm workout and then cleaned up my area.  We went downstairs for lunch at 1200, but apparently we were given the wrong chow time, so the drill sergeant led us in some unexplainable PT for 30 minutes until it was time for lunch at our new time of 1230.  After lunch, we had a formation and he told all of our PGs that if he comes up to our bays, he doesn't want to see people just sitting around not doing anything, so we cleaned the bay and made sure we looked busy again.  I laid down again, and took about a two hour nap, before waking up and doing another small arms-only workout.  Tomorrow is Sunday, so it will be a good day to rest up for the week to come!  Then, someone came upstairs and said we were ordering pizza, so the platoon lined up and put in their orders.  I chose not to buy any, but because each person could only buy one pizza, I let someone use my roster number in exchange for a slice whenever the pizza came.  I then messed around in my locker, making sure things were somewhat organized, and then it was time to head to dinner.  After dinner, I went to the PX for over an hour, looking around, just glad to be out of the bay.  I bought some pins for my Class A uniform, as well as a few other things for people that they had asked me about picking up for them.  I came back to the bay, and delivered the items to the people, and then just relaxed until final formation.  After final formation, the pizza arrived, so I got a slice of sausage pizza, and then by just sticking around and being social, I was given another three slices and a Powerade.  It is funny, because people get all excited about buying food, and then they get too much because their bodies aren't used to the food, so I luck out, don't spend a dime, and still end up with a late evening snack!  After we were done eating, we came upstairs and got ready for bed.  Because of all my naps today, I volunteered for fourth squads fireguard shift.  I fell asleep around 2200, and then was woken up for my 2400 shift.  I woke up tired, but still pulled my shift.  A few guys had snuck a deck of cards back from the PX and were still up playing Texas Hold 'em at the back of the bay, and someone else (Captain America) had gotten ahold of their cell phone and was in the latrine texting with it.  I decided to ignore both incidents, because we are so close to graduation, I don't want anymore trouble.  Plus, it is my own platoon doing it, and if I don't call them out... as long as a drill sergeant doesn't catch them, it should be a fairly easy last 6 days (2 of which are family day and graduation).  So anyway, I went to sleep at the end of my shift, and didn't wake up until the lights came on in the morning... so no one was caught.



No comments:

Post a Comment