09 August 2009

Days 100-101

03 August 2009  (Day 100- 11 days to go)

We had a 0500 wake up call this morning, so I got out of bed, remade it (I slept underneath the sheets just in case we had lined turn in like every Monday morning), brushed my teeth and shaved.  The drill sergeant asked for all National Guardsmen to turn in their orders, and then we headed downstairs for morning PT!  Today's PT was easy... just twenty minutes of easy calisthenic workouts.  We came back to the bay, changed into ACUs, and then proceeded to look busy "cleaning" our weapons or TA-50 gear until breakfast at 0800.  At breakfast, they always have pancakes, but today they had blueberry pancakes!!!  So I had the usual, plus three delicious blueberry pancakes!  After breakfast, we went back up to the bay where our drill sergeant kept having different forms for the active duty army guys.  I continued to look busy, but others were caught lying/sleeping on their beds, so at 1030, our platoon was kicked out of the bay and told to take our M4s downstairs to clean in our formation area.  Meanwhile, others were called away to do other jobs, such as repaint our e-tools (entrenchment tools-- collapsable camp shovels), clean and wipe down NODs, and sort paperwork for the drill sergeants in their office.  We eventually went to lunch, and then got to return to our bay to keep cleaning our weapons.  At 0200, we had a briefing in the classroom over COE (contemporary operational environment).  Basically, it was over why people do things and make decisions based on the economy, where they are from, and the most influential- politics.  After our briefing, we had a couple of minutes to drink water and stretch out, before we had another briefing over anti-terrorism at 1500.  The instructor informed us about terrorism, in and out of the United States, and told us to be aware of what is going on in the world around us. Also, he talked about how the military reacts to terrorism and the different threat levels that pertain to military bases and facilities.  After our briefings, we went back upstairs and continued cleaning our M4s until dinner at 1700.  After dinner, it was back up to our bay for the evening to continue cleaning our M4s.  I had completely broken my weapon down, oiled it up, and then put it back together, letting the oil soak in and break down whatever carbon was still stuck on the weapon.  I was finished "playing around" with it by 1830, so I tried to take a nap, but that was unsuccessful.  We have a squad up every two hours again tonight, so I wanted to catch up/get ahead on sleep, but I will just have to try and catch up tomorrow if I can.  Also, I started getting a small rash, which is spreading, and it looks very similar to poison ivy.  I decided to go to sick call in the morning to get some anti-itch cream, because it is quite itchy!  At first I thought it was maybe a prickly heat rash, but when I nicked it open while cleaning my M4, it started oozing, and has spread.  We'll see what the "professionals" have to say about it tomorrow!  We then had a mail call, where I got 4 letters from Brittney, 3 from my dad, 1 letter from Deanne, and 1 letter from each my Sease and Reinbold grandparents!  Thanks for all the letters!  I started reading them, until it was time for final formation at 2030.  I filled out my sick call form, got it signed, and then returned back upstairs to take a shower!  I didn't have time to read all my letters, so I have reading material tomorrow now!  Lights out was at 2100, but most people went downstairs to buy Powerade and energy bars.  I chose to get sleep, since I had to be awake to clean weapons during the night, and an early wake up to go to sick call.  I'll fill everyone in on what I have tomorrow!  Goodnight!


04 August 2009  (Day 101-  10 days to go)

Last night, no one woke me up to go down with my squad to clean weapons.  Apparently Spence had told them that I was going to sick call in the morning, so they let me sleep.  I then woke up at 0400, and was dressed and ready in my ACUs by 0420.  I went downstairs, signed out at the CQ desk, and made my way to the sick call check in.  I had brought a few of my unread letters with me, and read those while I was waiting to be seen.  One of the guys in my squad, Wilcox, was also there for knee and shoulder pains (from the ruck march), and he was telling me that his girlfriend back home was keeping up with my blog online.  Apparently I write more about what we do than he writes to her, so he was "in trouble," but now she has a way to know more!  There are a half dozen guys who have family reading and following along from my platoon now, so hello to everyone from A Co 1-50 first platoon at Ft. Benning!  :)  Anyway, I was finally seen for my rash. At 0720 (nearly a three hour wait), when I was done, I left with my calamine lotion and a couple of tubes of hydrocortisone to relieve my itching, and headed back to my company area, signed in, and went to breakfast.  After breakfast, I came upstairs and changed into PTs, and then started helping put together another ruck.  We were then called downstairs for a quick briefing about giving blood to the ASBP (Armed Service Blood Program).  All blood donated went to troops in theater, and if they run low, they have to buy from the American Red Cross for a couple hundred dollars per unit.  I could not muster up the courage to give this time, but maybe in the future my hatred towards needles will lessen.  I came back upstairs and worked on the ruck again, then spent about two and a half hours cleaning my M4 again.  People started to come back from donating blood, and I listened to their horror stories of the size of the needle and that they could see inside the hole that it made-- good choice not to go!  We went to lunch at noon, and afterwards, it was back to they bay to continue to clean weapons.  I helped a couple of guys with their rucks while I let the oil soak in to break down the carbon!  At 1500, our drill sergeant told us to get out a dollar for Gatorade tonight, and then passed out slips to fill out to get stuff dry cleaned for next week's events.  Since my stuff was dry cleaned for funeral detail, I didn't get anything dry cleaned!  So we went downstairs to dinner, which I guess was our "warrior dinner."  We had steak and fried shrimp, but I didn't eat the shrimp.  The only difference between this dinner and any other meal was that we ate in the classroom (across the hall), and were allowed to talk.  No big deal really, but oh well, at least I had steak!  After dinner, we did some area beautification because we have a general coming tomorrow to talk to us, so the place has to look good.  Our drill sergeant (who is on CQ duty tonight) went around and passed out Jolly Ranchers, which was odd, but the taste of sour apple hard candy was pretty good!  When we were done, we came back up to the bay and did a very thorough cleaning.  We worked on that until just about lights out, so I got my ACUs ready for tomorrow, because we are going to exchange them for brand new pairs!  I need some that finally fit me!  Lights went out at 2100, so I fell asleep for a couple of hours, before being woken up at 2250 with fourth squad to pull our cleaning shift tonight.  I went downstairs and took apart the feed tray and thoroughly cleaned it with Q-tips for a good 45 minutes!  I wanted to make sure it was really clean!  At 2350, I headed upstairs to pull a fireguard shift with Robbins, and then went to bed (again) shortly after 0100!  I really don't like this one squad up for two hours deal, but the sooner those weapons are spotless clean, the sooner we go back to full nights of sleep!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I even know that he's scared of needles! It kind of freaks me out when I learn something new about someone I've known my whole life!!

    Anyway...I just have to share this (with whoever's reading this comment right now, I don't really know..Hi Brittney!) but I just finished eating an apple Jolly Rancher right before I read this post!! Crazy.

    I'm still thinking and praying for you constantly, Derek! You're almost done!!!!

    ReplyDelete